AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) — One person is dead, and two others were left with serious injuries following a crash northwest of Amarillo, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
TxDPS said the accident occurred at Ranch to Market (RM) 1061, approximately five miles north of FM 2381, they also added the crash occurred a little before 1:00 p.m.
According to TxDPS, the investigation indicates Venkata Devulapalli, 46, of Amarillo, was the driver of an SUV who made a U-turn from the northbound shoulder in the path of a truck tractor semi-trailer heading north on RM 1061. Causing the truck tractor semi-trailer to hit the SUV.
DPS added the driver died on the scene, and the two passengers were transported by ambulance to Amarillo Northwest Texas Hospital with serious injuries.
Due to the accident (RM) 1061, approximately five miles north of FM 2381 is shut down, DPS is asking citizens to avoid the area. They also added the road is expected to be closed until 4:30 to 5:30 p.m.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- SCOTUS considers Arizona voting rights case as House lawmakers debate bill expanding access to polls
- Governor Abbott’s Executive Order GA-34 to allow all businesses and facilities to return to 100% capacity
- Report labels the best and worst states for children during the pandemic
- TWC says it processed 948% more unemployment claims, 2,000% more payments in 2020 compared to 2019
- Much wow, very vroom: Dogecoin to sponsor NASCAR driver in upcoming race