AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) — Victor Leal, owner of Leal’s Mexican Restaurant decided to close both locations of Leal’s in Amarillo and Muleshoe after trying take out and curbside pick up.
“I’ve had to furlough 100 hardworking and heroic staff members. Probably the hardest day of my life outside of the day my dad passed away. Can’t think of a day I cried more.” said Leal.
Leal said converting from a full-size service restaurant into a takeout/curbside style had its own challenges.
“It’s a lot of leg work, because we don’t have a drive-through at either restaurant. Running the food out to the car, and then just manning the phones. We had a phone that had three lines, but those lines were constantly busy. It’s not an easy transition, some folks are making the best of it, but the best of it is still very, very difficult.” Leal added.
Leal mentioned that the restaurant might try take out or curbside service again at a later date to get it back up and running once everything settles down.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Pres. Trump takes on social media outlets with an executive order
- Indian Association of Amarillo donates to High Plains Food Bank
- Illinois boy designs kids’ hospital gown, draws inspiration from sister’s surgeries
- Top stories: Beer’s back; Mayors demand funding; Census push
- Texas Health and Human Services helping feed students through food benefits