UPDATE 4:06 p.m.:

The Amarillo Fire Department reports that Chlorine gas was detected by the AFD Hazmat Team at a north Amarillo home, Friday.

According to AFD, two gallons of drain cleaner (concentrated sulfuric acid) were poured into a drain to attempt to unclog it.

AFD believes that the cleaner reacted with other cleaning products and created chlorine gas (a corrosive gas that can cause severe respiratory problems if inhaled.) The gas leaked into a neighboring apartment through the plumbing.

AFD said the status of the person who was taken to the hospital is unknown.

Original Story

AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) — Officials with the Amarillo Fire Department declared a “Level 2 Hazmat” as a team responded to an odor inside a north Amarillo home on Friday.

Officials detailed that units responded to 1313 Evergreen on a suspicious odor with a “vapor cloud.” One person was taken to the hospital, according to recent reports from officials.

This is a developing story. Stay with MyHighPlains.com for the latest.