Update (12:53 p.m.):
Officials with Clovis Municipal Schools echoed the announcement from the New Mexico Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management and said that it is coordinating with the DHSEM, the FBI, New Mexico Public Education Department, and local police in response to the threat under investigation.
“In this case, the threat which is circulating does not specify a particular school, community or region and does not identify our school district,” said district officials, “Likewise, this threat has been circulated through communities throughout the region via social media, leading authorities to conclude that it is not credible.”
The district reiterated that school schedules have not been interrupted amid the situation, though it is “closely monitoring” the situation and for any additional updates “will communicate appropriately and in a timely manner.”
Update (12:05 p.m.):
Officials with the Portales Police Department, as well as the New Mexico Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, have also commented on the “viral, nationwide threat” under investigation.
According to the Portales Police Department, officials said that they have been made aware of violent threats being made on social media towards the schools. They said this caused them to increase police presence at schools throughout the day.
Officials with the New Mexico DHSEM said that local law enforcement and the FBI are investigating the cause of the threats, which have impacted schools throughout the state, but stressed they are not considered credible.
CLOVIS, N.M. (KAMR/KCIT) – According to a district announcement from Clovis Municipal Schools, classes will be held according to the regular schedule on Wednesday with an increased police presence at schools in the wake of a “viral, nationwide threat” under investigation.
Officials said that the school district had been made aware of “a second-hand, social media threat towards an unidentified school that seems to be circulating across New Mexico and around the nation.” However, classes were expected to continue as planned.
While district officials noted that the threat was not being considered credible as of Wednesday morning, the district “is working closely with local law enforcement as the matter is investigated further.” The source of the threat was not known at the time of the announcement and is still under investigation.
“We appreciate the partnership and support provided by the Clovis Police Department and their increased presence at our campuses when we are managing situations such as this,” said the district post.
Further information on Clovis Municipal Schools and the district security plan can be found on its website.
This comes as multiple other school districts in the broader High Plains Region, including Olton Independent School District and Lockney Independent School District in Texas, have also been under heightened security measures on Wednesday amid investigations into alleged online threats.
This is a developing story. MyHighPlains.com will update this article as new information becomes available.
Download the KAMR Local 4 News app on the App Store or Google Play for updates on the go.
Sign up for MyHighPlains.com email updates to see top stories, every day.
Check with MyHighPlains.com to see the latest updates for local news, weather, and events.