AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) – Last night, at around 10:32 p.m., the Community of Christ Church of Latter-Day Saints on South Manhattan Street caught fire. The Amarillo Police Department described the building as already under heavy fire by the time crews arrived minutes later.
Eight units of the Amarillo Fire Department were reported to have responded to the blaze. The fire was so severe that AFD crews were unable to enter the building, and were forced to extinguish it from outside.
According to AFD, “The fire is under control and crews will remain on scene throughout the night. The building sustained significant damage and is believed to be a total loss. No injuries have been reported.”
The Fire Marshal’s Office has not yet released a cause for the fire.
Update: According to the Amarillo Fire Department, the fire at the church is being investigated arson and one suspect, 24-year-old, Ernesto Pena was arrested.
This is a developing story. Stay with MyHighPlains.com for the latest.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- ‘I was shocked’: New Walmart checkout policy called racially biased
- VIDEO: Driver crashes into North Carolina martial arts school when class in session
- Serena Williams ‘proud’ of Meghan for interview
- NY Democratic leadership calls for Cuomo’s resignation
- Pastor on leave after sermon saying wives should lose weight to look like Melania Trump