OLDHAM COUNTY, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) — One person is and several others are injured after a bus wreck near Vega Tuesday morning.
It happened around 7:15 a.m. on I-40, about a mile east of Vega.
According to DPS, the bus driver drove out of the lane into another lane that was closed for construction, hitting multiple direction cones and hitting multiple concrete overpass support beams there were being stored outside the lane and shoulder of the road.
The driver, Jerry Buckner, 71, of Albuquerque, died at the scene. DPS said Buckner picked up the bus’ route in Elk City, Oklahoma.
DPS 25 passengers were on the bus. Thee were taken to the in Amarillo hospital with serious injuries. 13 of the passengers were taken to the hospital in Hereford with minor injuries. The uninjured passengers were taken to a church in Vega where they waited for another charter bus to take them to Albuquerque.
The crash is still under investigation.
This story will be updated as more information is released.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Texas Downtown Association honors Hodgetown as Best Economic Gamechanger
- Time may be running out to mail your ballot depending on where you live
- As virus surges, Trump rallies keep packing in thousands
- CBP says majority of medical transfers at ports of entry are American citizens
- Playing through! Nearly 10-foot-long alligator strolls across Florida golf course