AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) — The Amarillo Police Department said, today, APD Chief of Police Martin Birkenfeld completed a Master in Arts Degree in Security Studies at the Naval Postgraduate School Center for Homeland Defense.
APD also said Chief Birkenfeld also received the Curtis H. “Butch” Straub Achievement Award stating this award is presented to a graduating CHDS student with exemplary academic achievement who has written an outstanding thesis and helped the most in providing leadership and energy for the CHDS MA program.
APD said during the 18-month online and in-residence program, Chief Birkenfeld, collaborated with homeland security officials from across the nation on current policy, strategy and organizational design challenges.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- South African variant may be able to ‘break through’ Pfizer vaccine, study finds
- Sod Poodles announce 2021 season events
- APH reports 12 new cases of COVID-19 and 18 recoveries in Amarillo area
- Today in History: Wheeler County becomes first organized county in the Texas Panhandle
- A Texas-wide ban on public camping would make it a crime — lawmakers are considering it Monday