AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) — It is the chance to experience the day-to-day life of a collegiate athlete all while giving them a place to call home.
The Amarillo Sod Squad is looking for host families to house some of their players for the season.
Each player will spend a considerable amount of time at the ballpark or on the road, but having a comfortable life at home during off days is a very important factor.
Shane Phillips with the Amarillo Sod Poodles is pitching this as an opportunity few people will ever have; playing a part in a player’s success on the Sod Squad.
Phillips says this is their first official go at finding host families for their team, so they are really looking for support from the community.
Below is more information if you would like to become a host family:
Ideal Host Families:
- Commit to the entire season (May 28-August 8)
- Provide a clean, safe, and healthy home environment
- Provide player(s) with his own room (although multiple players can share)
- Access to bathroom, kitchen, and laundry
- Ability to provide reliable transportation, if and when needed (i.e., late night/early AM pickup after a road trip, shuttle to/from ballpark, etc.)
- Host families must be very understanding of the player’s hectic schedule
Host families have a large responsibility, but there are perks for taking on that responsibility. Mainly, you will become a member of the Sod Squad family and a vital piece in the success of the team.
To Thank Host Families:
- Up to 4 Ticket Vouchers per Sod Squad home game
- Pre-Season Host Family Team Outing
- End-of-season on-field recognition
- 2 Host Family T-shirts (additional can be purchased at discount)
- 10% Discount in the Team Store
What To Expect:
- Building a bond with player/s that will last well beyond the final game of the season.
- Mature and respectful individual/s who will represent the team, and, by extension, their host family with the utmost class and professionalism.
- The opportunity to make a positive impact on the future of a young man.
- Player/s will often not be home.
- Player/s will be arriving home late at night and or early in the morning after games.
- Remember, baseball is their passion. There will be good and bad days.
- Player/s may have families and friends visit during the summer. It is up to the host family whether to allow visitors to stay in the home.
- Host families must understand that player personnel changes can and do occur before and during the season (i.e., injuries and school schedules, which may impact or shorten player housing assignments).
If interested, please fill out the Sod Squad Host Family Questionnaire here. A background check form will be required in the selection process.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Brothers-Sisters of our Military Adventures Hosting Armed Forces Day Banquet
- Walmart announces vaccinated customers and staff no longer required to wear masks
- Amarillo Family Asking for Help Traveling to Life-Saving Surgery
- Two more former Reagor Dykes employees sentenced
- NY Rep. Elise Stefanik elected as new GOP Conference Chair