AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) — The Amarillo Police Department said it will be working extra DWI patrols for the holiday weekend.
APD has received a STEP grant (Selective Traffic Enforcement Program) from the Texas Department of Transportation to put more officers on the streets over the holiday weekend said APD.
Amarillo Police said starting Friday May 28 through Monday May 31, extra officers will be looking for intoxicated drivers, drivers violating the speed limit, anyone failing to wear a seatbelt, and other traffic laws.
According to APD, in 2021 there have been 9 fatal accidents with 11 deaths.
APD said there are several things that drivers can do to make sure they are safe on the roads:
- Don’t Drink and Drive
- Drive the speed limit
- Make everyone in the vehicle wear a seatbelt.
- Don’t drive fatigued
- Eliminate distractions while driving
- Drive Defensively
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Sunday Morning Weather
- Cowboy’s Michael Gallup Helps Out at Amarillo Football Camp
- Alligator spotted cooling off at the ocean in Myrtle Beach
- ‘Surreal’: 6th Street mass shooting witnesses describe the moment shots fired in downtown Austin
- From clubs to scrubs: Professional golfer on why she went from golfing to fighting a global pandemic