AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) – The Amarillo Fire Department reported being called out to a fire on 6th and Georgia on Oct. 25 at 9:39 p.m. AFD found an abandoned church with fire showing from the roof, and a section of the roof collapsed.
Fire crews said they could not enter the building due to the collapsed roof and began extinguishing the fire from the outside. The north wall collapsed, followed by the rest of the roof, shortly after crews arrived on scene. Nearby buildings were closely monitored to ensure the fire did not spread.
Fire crews remain on scene today, and ask that people avoid the area.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Video shows fighter’s incredible knockout kick in first-ever MMA fight
- Man accused of buying $58K SUV with stolen ID, posing for photo at dealership
- Amarillo City Council held a special meeting at the Civic Center
- Lawmaker charged for opening Oregon Capitol doors to protesters a no-show at first hearing
- Police: Colorado Springs shooting suspect killed 6 after not being invited to a family party