UPDATE 3 P.M.: Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. said he would support efforts for Virginia counties and localities to leave the Commonwealth and join the state of West Virginia.
“We need a state government that is not elected by federal workers in the suburbs of Washington, D.C., that will protect our God-given rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness and I believe West Virginia will do just that,” Falwell said.
“That’s why, while I will be campaigning for my good friends President Donald Trump and Gov. Jim Justice this election year, I’ll also be supporting any efforts to let the people decide the question of Virginia counties joining the State of West Virginia.”
Justice said West Virginia would welcome any Virginian who joined West Virginia.
West Virginia became a state in 1863 after delegates decided to secede from Virginia and form a new state.
MARTINSBURG, W.Va. (WFXR) — Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. and Gov. Jim Justice (R-W.Va.) have scheduled a press conference for 2 p.m. Tuesday. The press conference will take place in Martinsburg, about three hours northeast of Roanoke and Lynchburg. (Watch the press conference LIVE above this article or by clicking here.)
In a tweet this morning, Falwell said the public “won’t want to miss” the 2 p.m. press conference.
Radio host Todd Starnes said Falwell and Justice would make “historic” news.
Falwell previously told Starnes that he would encourage civil disobedience if the Virginia General Assembly passed certain gun control measures.
This is a developing story. Stay with WFXRtv.com for the latest.
- Texas has yet to spend nearly $6 billion in federal coronavirus funds. Lawmakers demand Gov. Abbott’s plan
- Video captures officer rolling bicycle over Seattle protester’s head during Breonna Taylor demonstrations
- Pumpkin Spice mac-and-cheese? Kraft is bringing it to the US
- House passes bill aimed to bolster federal stockpile of medical equipment for future use
- Amarillo Chamber of Commerce hosts mobile blood drive