WHITE ISLAND, NEW ZEALAND (NBC NEWS) — Footage posted on social media showed a large plume of ash rising into the sky following an eruption on a small New Zealand volcanic island.
Michael Schade uploaded video of Monday’s eruption on White Island on his Twitter page.
The eruption happened while dozens of tourists were exploring the island.
Five people are dead and many more are missing.
The site was still too dangerous hours later for police and rescuers to search for the missing.
Both New Zealand and overseas tourists were among the injured.
Already people are questioning why tourists were still able to visit the island after scientists recently noted an uptick in volcanic activity.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Shanahan: ‘No injuries to report’ ahead of 49ers NFC Championship game
- Tascosa architect student help tear down ReStore wall
- Randall High School student winds Hispanic Heritage Essay contest
- Canyon High senior’s last year at Randall County Jr. Livestock Show
- Lawmakers tour migrant camp, call wait-in-Mexico policy ‘morally unjust’