HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — Police are investigating after an infant was killed in an apparent dog attack in Virginia early Monday morning.
Hampton police said they were called around 3:15 a.m. and found the child and dog, a German shepherd mix, dead.
Investigators say the child had injuries that were consistent with a dog attack. The preliminary investigation showed the infant and the child’s parents were sleeping in the same bed when they were awakened “by a large amount of motion.”
Police say the child’s father, seeing “extensive injuries” to the child, “immediately euthanized” the dog, which police found in the backyard.
The family said the dog had not been previously aggressive.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- LIVE: US panel to decide who should get first COVID-19 vaccine shots
- ‘Juno’ star Elliot Page announces he is transgender
- Mystery monolith vanishes in Romania: alien action or local prank?
- DPS seeking information in Refugio County Cold Case Homicide
- The United Family to donate one dollar to local food banks for each flu shot during December