PORTSMOUTH, OH (WOWK) – Earlier this week, Jeffrey Martin and his fiance were left without a home when their house on the 300 block of Offnere Street caught fire.
The next day, when trying to recover some of the items inside, the couple’s luck got worse. They were involved in an accident that totaled their car.
Without a home and a car the couple shortly after the events received some help from his employer. At the Sonora Mexican Grill in Portsmouth, where Martin works as a deliveryman, owner Martin Miranda decided to give them a helping hand.
Even though they lost everything, they’re going to be okay because I won’t let them be homeless or anything.Martin Miranda, Sonora Mexican Grill owner
Before the fire and the vehicle accident, Martin was talking to Miranda about possibly buying one of his properties. Now, they will be moving in a little early until they can get back on their feet.
He’s going to let us live in it and we’re getting it fixed up and everything, so at least we’ll have somewhere to be now.Jeffrey Martin, Sonora Mexican Grill employee
As for the issue of the vehicle, Miranda is also lending him a vehicle to use for work until he can buy a new one.
The local community has also been donating clothing for him and his fiance. Martin says, even with all the unfortunate events this week, they are grateful for all the help they’ve received.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Life Challenge of Amarillo celebrates 40 years of work with their expanding Hope Benefit Banquet
- Cpl. Cruz distinguished as Corrections Officer of the Year for Texas
- Downtown Women’s Center Haven House has Grand Reopening
- 13-year-old arrested in 14-year-old Ulysses teen’s death the same day he’s laid to rest
- Mysterious deed claims new ownership of Jeffrey Epstein’s New Mexico ranch