What is Good Deeds Day?
A global movement of good, which puts into practice the simple idea that every person can do a good deed for the benefit of others and the planet, each according to their heart’s desire. “Good Deeds Day gives everyone the opportunity to connect, help one another, and do good. Taking part is easy, it inspires people to do good for those around them – even for people they don’t know- all year-round, and to achieve a better and kinder world together,” says David Arison, son of Good Deeds Day founder Shari Arison.
Fast Facts About Good Deeds Day
· 1,450,000 people from more than 70 countries across the globe are expected to give over 4 million volunteer hours this Good Deeds Day.
· High profile leaders have taken part in the past. His Holiness Pope Francis blessed the event last year in his weekly sermon.
· Across the globe, 15,000 impactful projects are happening everywhere, from Brazil to Italy, from Africa to the Americas, and from Israel to Costa Rica.
· Here in the U.S., hundreds of projects are planned to span across 42 states. In 2015, projects took place in 36 states and ranged from 8,000 volunteers in Washington DC, who helped out at a horse rescue farm, made treats and toys for guide dogs, and volunteered at a vegetable farm project; to the 1,200 volunteers in Miami, who assembled 20,000 meals for people in need; to the 1,100 volunteers in San Diego, who collected clothing and participated in activities with seniors.
· This year in New York alone, thousands of people are expected to attend the largest Good Deeds Day Fair to hit Manhattan in Herald Square. Participants will be able to take their pick of ways to do good with nonprofits and Good Deeds Day corporate partners, such as joining a reading circle by Scholastic Book Fairs or a wellness yoga activity by KIND Snacks, helping Jessica Seinfeld’s nonprofit Baby Buggy create donation packs, signing up for Macy’s Partners in Time volunteering group, or getting involved with other local and national nonprofits on site such as Ronald McDonald House NY and Big Brothers, Big Sisters NYC.
David Arison is VP of Global Business Relations at Miya, Arison Investments global water company founded to maximize water-use efficiency of urban distribution systems worldwide. Amongst other countries Miya is involved in large scale projects in Brazil, Philippines, and The Bahamas, bringing fresh water to millions of people, and in some cases for the first time, while saving millions of gallons of fresh water daily. He is responsible for strengthening and managing the company’s associations worldwide, specializing in the US market. In addition, David is a Board member of Arison Investments, the business arm of the Arison Group, and The Ted Arison Family Foundation, the philanthropic arm of the Arison Group. He has been actively involved in Good Deeds Day since its inception in 2007 dedicated to raising awareness of the need to Do Good whether in your personal life or in business.
What is Good Deeds Day?