AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) — Location matters when it comes to health. Some places promote wellness by expanding access to nutritious food and recreational facilities. Others strive to keep healthcare costs affordable for everyone or keep parks clean and well-maintained.
WalletHub compared more than 170 of the most populated U.S. cities across 43 key indicators of good health. Their data set ranges from cost of a medical visit to fruit and vegetable consumption to fitness clubs per capita.
Amarillo came in 155 out of 174.
Their rankings include:
- Health Care rank – 162
- Food rank – 161
- Fitness rank – 152
- Green Space rank – 122
The highest-ranked city in America is San Francisco. The lowest-ranked is Brownsville, Texas.
The highest-ranked Texas city is Austin at 11.
Out of 16 cities in Texas, Amarillo came in at 11; just ahead of Lubbock, ranked 157th overall.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Update: One in critical condition after 2nd alarm structure fire
- Defense pushes Lady Buffs past Texas A&M-Kingsville
- Buffalo Bills arrive in Kansas City ahead of AFC Championship
- Big offenses, overlooked defenses in AFC title game
- Family Life Office of the Diocese of Amarillo host annual ‘Respect Life’ mass and walk