(NBC NEWS) — A new study is shedding light on the impact marijuana use may have on an unborn child.
Researchers looked at sonogram data from nearly 450 pregnant women who reported using marijuana on a daily basis.
They found an association with low birth weight, hypoglycemia, decreased oxygen levels, and delayed fetal growth.
The scientists say that in the most severe cases the delayed growth can even lead to stillbirth.
Recent studies have shown that marijuana use in pregnant women has doubled over the last 15 years.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Biden order could change how colleges handle sex misconduct
- ‘I was shocked’: New Walmart checkout policy called racially biased
- VIDEO: Driver crashes into North Carolina martial arts school when class in session
- Serena Williams ‘proud’ of Meghan for interview
- NY Democratic leadership calls for Cuomo’s resignation