(NBC NEWS) — A new study is shedding light on the impact marijuana use may have on an unborn child.
Researchers looked at sonogram data from nearly 450 pregnant women who reported using marijuana on a daily basis.
They found an association with low birth weight, hypoglycemia, decreased oxygen levels, and delayed fetal growth.
The scientists say that in the most severe cases the delayed growth can even lead to stillbirth.
Recent studies have shown that marijuana use in pregnant women has doubled over the last 15 years.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- International Podcast Day with ‘Hey Amarillo’
- WATCH: City of Amarillo’s Coronavirus Update Sept. 30
- Serena Williams pulls out of French Open with hurt Achilles
- Kentucky AG asks for delay in release of Breonna Taylor grand jury proceedings, recordings expected Friday
- Retail showdown: Target Deal Days to be held same time as Amazon’s Prime Day sales