(NBC NEWS) — Too much time spent on smartphones or social media may be bad for a teen’s mental health.
Canadian researchers reviewed numerous studies involving teenagers and their use of smartphones.
They found an association between excessive phone and social media use with mental distress and suicidal thoughts.
The scientists cannot say that one causes the other only that there was a possible link.
The study did not look at online gaming.
Parents are encouraged to discuss appropriate phone use with their children and try to be a good role model by limiting their own amount of screen time.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Dallas skyline turns amber to remember those lost to COVID-19
- Will the Capitol rioters receive a pardon from President Trump?
- As mobile sports betting grows, so does the need for gambling addiction treatment
- What the Trump children might do after the White House
- From Scranton to Pennsylvania Avenue: Joe Biden’s Story