(NBC NEWS) — Previous research shows that gestational diabetes increases a woman’s chances for developing type 2 diabetes later on in life.
But a new study suggests that breastfeeding may lower that risk.
Researchers studied more than 4,000 women who developed gestational diabetes.
Compared to women who did not breastfeed. Those who did were less likely to develop type 2 diabetes decades later.
And the longer a woman breastfed, lowered the risk even more.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- The Amarillo High Sandies storm past the Palo Duro Dons
- 1 dead, 2 critical after bus bound for Grand Canyon rolls over
- 33 missing children, including some who were sexually exploited, found in California operation: FBI
- Ohio family grateful for pardon from President Trump
- Boom system installed south of the border to prevent trash from flowing into U.S.