A farewell reception for Benedictine Sister Marcella Schmalz was held Sunday afternoon at St. Benedict Monastery.
The Monastery is located five miles northeast of downtown Canyon.
Sister Marcella is 97 years old and is the last founding member of St. Benedict Monastery, which began as a mission house of St. Scholastica Monastery in 1971.
Sister Marcella will return to St. Scholastica Monastery in Fort Smith, Ark. next month.
The Benedictine Sisters of Fort Smith, Ark. are closing a 102-year chapter of service to the Diocese of Amarillo.
In addition to St. Benedict’s Monastery, Benedictine Sisters served from 1915 to 1990 as teachers at Nazareth Public School and at Holy Family Church, Nazareth.
The Benedictine Sisters taught at St. Joseph School, Amarillo, from 1956 through the late 1980’s.
A group of Benedictine Sisters were located in Amarillo from 1990 to 2001.
From the mid-1980’s to the mid-1990’s, the Benedictine Sisters were active in campus ministry at the Catholic Student Center at West Texas State University (now West Texas A&M University) and St. Ann’s Church, Canyon.