RANDALL COUNTY, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) — One person is dead after their vehicle was hit by a train.
It happened just after 5 a.m. near US 60 and FM 168, just outside Umbarger.
According to DPS, Carlos Olvera, 21, of Friona, was driving south on FM 168.
Troopers said for an unknown reason, Olvera ran the stop sign at the intersection, drove across all lanes of US 60 and into the barrow ditch south of US 60, hitting a dirt embankment. The vehicle then hit the railroad ballast and rolled, coming to a rest on the roof on the railroad tracks. The vehicle was then hit by an eastbound train.
Troopers said Olvera was not wearing a seatbelt.
He was pronounced dead on the scene.
The crash is still under investigation.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Cancer Research on Deceased Tiger from Amarillo Zoo Helping Species
- Newsfeed Now: The race to get vaccinations ahead of COVID variants, fan scores with TikTok NFL style reviews
- Send a sweet treat for someone special this Valentine’s Day
- Florida special ed teacher accused of having sex with student in classroom closet
- Florida fire captain accused of using paramedic to steal COVID-19 vaccines