Creamy White Chili
Yield: 7 Servings
- 1 TBSP. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 – 14 ½ oz cans unsalted navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 – 14 ½ oz can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 – 4 oz can chopped green chilies
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ block (4 oz) 1/3 less fat cream cheese
In a large pot, heat the oil and sauté the chicken, onion, and garlic powder until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F and is no longer pink.
Add the beans, broth, chilies, and seasonings.
Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
Add the cubed, cream cheese and let cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
This is a quick and easy, one pot meal that the whole family will love! It is a great cold weather recipe with sources of protein, calcium, iron, and potassium.
More recipes can be found at Dinnertonight.tamu.edu
If you are interested in cooking classes or want help finding healthy, family-friendly recipes, contact your local County Extension Agent.