When a storm hits, you are left with having to hire people to help clean up the mess left behind. The Better Business Bureau has some timely reminders.
Cleaning up debris after a storm:
- Urgency and safety to repair/clean up. Don’t act in haste.
- Watch out for companies knocking at your door. Most companies will be very busy right now and will not knock.
- Be careful if they claim your home is unsafe.
- Check with your insurance company.
- Prepare a written agreement that includes details of work to be done, cost and time.
- Do not give in to pressure. Even during this time of immediate need.
- Do not pay unknown companies up front. Check them out first at BBB.ORG.
- Do not pay 100% until complete.
- Shop around and use reputable companies with a proven track record.
- Report fraud and bad business to BBB to help warn others.
- Be patient. Clean up will take some time.
Better Business Bureau
600 South Tyler, Suite 1300