How to children get cavities?
* When you eat, bits of food cling to your teeth and can help form plaque, a sticky film that builds up on tooth surfaces. Plaque produces acid from the food you eat. That acid attacks your teeth repeatedly and cause tooth decay. Tooth decay is painful, and if it goes untreated, you can develop an infection
How do you prevent cavities?
* Preventing dental cavities starts at home. Brushing and flossing regularly with a fluoridated toothpaste, eating a well-balanced diet and even drinking more water throughout the day can help. Dental check ups every 6 months with fluoride treatments are extremely important as well. At APDO we recommend dental sealants to help prevent cavities from forming in back teeth. This follows directly with the ADA recommendations to seal all back baby and permanent teeth.
What Are Dental Sealants?
* Dental sealants are thin coatings placed over the chewing surfaces of back teeth to protect them from developing caries (tooth decay). Sealants cover the bumpy surfaces and crevices called “pits and fissures.” They keep food and plaque from getting trapped in those spaces. A tooth that has a sealant is 70% less likely to get a cavity.
* Thorough brushing and flossing helps remove food particles and plaque from the smooth surfaces of teeth, but toothbrushes can’t reach all the way into the depressions and grooves to extract all food and plaque. While fluoride helps prevent decay and helps protect all the surfaces of the teeth, dental sealants add extra protection for the grooved and pitted areas.
What teeth can dental sealants be placed?
* Dental sealants can be applied to baby molars, adult premolars and molars.
Is it cost effective?
* Yes, many dental plans will cover sealants on children’s teeth.
* Sealants cost less than traditional cavity fillings and usually last for several years before needing a reapplication
* At APDO if we have placed your sealants and they need to be touched up or reapplied, we will re-seal them at no charge to you.
APDO is proud to serve our great community with over 100 years of combined pediatric specialty. All our Doctors and staff are committed to prevention of dental disease through a conservative standard of practice.
Amarillo Pediatric Dentistry
Shane Moore, DDS
2455 I-40 west