(NEXSTAR) — A stray dog that went viral over his dogged determination to make a best friend of a stuffed unicorn at a North Carolina store is set to be adopted.
Officials say the dog, named Sisu, tried multiple times to swipe a stuffed unicorn from a Dollar General store in Duplin County, according to the county’s animal services department.
“Sisu. The dog who broke into a Dollar General Store 5 times to steal the same purple unicorn—the same exact one,” local photographer Shannon Johnstone posted on Facebook. “Not others like it near by, but that one in particular.”
Sisu had set his sights on the purple unicorn with a red, sparkly horn and hooves, so persistently that animal control was called to remove him.
According to the department, the officer who responded bought the unicorn for Sisu and made sure he had it nearby when he was taken to the shelter.
“She purchased the unicorn with her own money,” Johnstone wrote, “and said, ‘well, it is what he wanted.'”
Johnstone said in her post, “Please know that Sisu has rescue and is adoption pending!” She added that the Duplin County Animal Shelter also has other “great animals” that need homes.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Woman wakes up to find blood dripping from ceiling while she slept
- Virginia woman charged with murder of infant was ‘into witchcraft’
- 911 tapes: NYPD dad charged with murder tried to revive 8-year-old son who froze in garage
- ‘We need to get people off the bridge as soon as possible’: Hear Tenn. bridge crews frantic 911 calls after crack found
- Rep. Liz Cheney voted from her key leadership role