HYDERABAD, India (AP) — A man was killed by a rooster with a blade tied to its leg during an illegal cockfight in southern India.
The incident has brought focus on a practice that continues in some Indian states despite a decades-old ban. Police say the rooster, with a 3-inch knife tied to its leg, fluttered in panic and slashed its 45-year-old owner in his groin last week.
The incident occurred in Lothunur village of Telangana state. The man died due to excessive bleeding before he could be taken to a hospital.
Police have filed a case and are looking for over a dozen of people involved in organizing the cockfight.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Hideki Matsuyama wins the Masters to become first Japanese major champion
- Gov. Ralph Northam orders Virginia State Police to conduct independent investigation regarding Windsor traffic stop incident
- Georgia becomes third state to shut down Johnson & Johnson vaccine site: report
- Amarillo TxDOT “Know Before You Go” April 11-April 17 road closure report
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center hosting virtual cancer screening beginning Monday, April 12