(FOX NEWS) — The coronavirus pandemic may be driving some Americans into early retirement.
A survey from the University of Chicago found the number of Americans who choose to retire rather than stay in the workforce went up about 7 percentage points between January and April.
Researchers say their data suggest the pandemic has led to a wave of earlier than planned retirements, mainly among women.
Authors of the study also say their findings may show older Americans are retiring sooner due to an increased risk of infection at work.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- Bushland Softball Claims District Title
- Amarillo-Panhandle Humane Society transports over 60 rescue animals to neighbor states, adds second van to fleet
- Unknown Comics, local business renowned in the world of comic books opens retail location
- Amarillo Crime Stoppers hosts 14th annual ‘Shred It’ day, aimed at preventing ID theft
- Peloton treadmill could kill small children and pets, consumer agency warns