AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) — Amarillo Police have confirmed that the boy in north Amarillo on Wednesday night has died.
According to police, the victim was 7 years old.
APD said the other person has been identified, but cannot be charged with a crime because they are under the age of 10 years old.
It happened just before 7 p.m. on Wednesday, May 27 on the 3900 block of Paradise Ave.
According to Amarillo Police, officers were called on a sick person lying in the road. As officers were responding, updates came in saying the victim had possibly been shot.
Police said the 7-year-old was found in the street at the location with a gunshot wound.
He was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries.
Police told us Texas law does not allow for anyone under the age of 10 years old to be held criminally responsible for a crime.
Amarillo Police Department Homicide Unit continues the investigation into this incident.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- 6-year-old boy saves younger sister from charging dog
- In virus era, back-to-school plans stress working parents
- Atomic anniversary brings US nuclear official to New Mexico
- New Mexico high school to drop Spanish conquistador name
- WATCH REPLAY: City of Amarillo July 15 COVID-19 Meeting