AFD responds to multiple structure fire; Firefighter helps save family’s home

News

AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) — The Amarillo Fire Department (AFD) responded to a three-alarm structure fire that broke out in southeast Amarillo Wednesday afternoon.

Fire officials said the fire started around 12:15 p.m. in the area of 32nd and Apache.

Two houses and one garage went up in flames but fire officials said no one is injured.

Fire crews left the scene around 6 p.m. Wednesday. AFD Capt. Kyle Joy said fire marshals are investigating and hope to release more details on Thursday morning.

AFD firefighters respond to several calls a day, but for one firefighter who responded Wednesday, this call was personal.

Kyler Williams, an Amarillo firefighter, was already on a call when he was redirected to a neighborhood he knows well.

“You have 80 million things running through your head,” said Williams. “Is your family okay? You know, are they alright? Hopefully, all of them got out, but you still gotta go in there, still gotta go do your job.”

Shannon Barton said she saw the flames from her kitchen window and then heard a boom when the electric pole near her garage caught fire. The family quickly got out and called 911.

“By the time we got to the front yard, which I’m guessing was about 45 seconds, the smoke and the flames were taller than my house,” said Barton.

But help was on the way, along with a familiar face.

“God sends the right angels at the right time and it did give me a sense of peace because I know that he is doing his job, doing what he loves and I just love him,” Barton added.

Barton said she is thankful for AFD’s hard work and one firefighter, in particular, her nephew, Kyler Williams.

Amarillo firefighter Kyler Williams embracing his aunt, Shannon Barton. They are surrounded by family.

“Once I saw that it was only their garage and I actually saw them standing right here huddled up, thank God,” Williams said. “So, I was thanking Jesus right there and just went to work.”

Barton said the garage might be ruined but the most important things were saved.

“It’s just stuff. I can live without stuff as long as I have my family and my pets,” Barton added.

The family cheered for Williams as he and the other firefighters put the fire out. The garage was special, though. It was home to Williams and his cousin’s old childhood clubhouse.

“No lives were lost. We got everybody out. That’s our number one priority here,” Williams said.

Barton said she was looking out the back window of her kitchen because she was making Rice Krispy treats. She saw the flames and was able to get her two kids and four dogs out safely.

This is a developing story. Stay with MyHighPlains for the latest.


The Latest from MyHighPlains.com:

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Weather

More Forecast

Don't Miss