The Amarillo Fire Department responded to a fire on the 1700 block of La Mesa early this morning.
Just after 4:30 a.m., AFD arrived on scene and found a home-built van/camper combo fully involved with fire.
Officials said the occupant had escaped safely.
The occupant told officials they had left a candle burning on the stove and fell asleep, and when they woke up, the camper was full of smoke.
We are told the fire was under control at 4:46 a.m.
The Amarillo Fire Marshal’s Office ruled the fire as accidental.
Damage is estimated at $3,000.