(FOX NEWS) — Experts are predicting more than 300,000 Americans will die from COVID-19 by December first.
The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington, releasing its projections Thursday.
However, researchers say nearly 68,000 lives could be saved if a nationwide mask mandate were imposed.
According to data from Johns Hopkins University, more than 5.8-million Americans have been infected with the virus since the pandemic began, and more than 180,000 have died.
More from MyHighPlains.com:
- COVID-19 Vaccine Phase 1-C: What do we know?
- Interview: Tamera Mowry talks Teladoc, navigating mom life through pandemic
- Newly released report details 2013 probe of allegations against former LSU Head Coach Les Miles
- Gov. Abbott to hold noon news conference on bill to prohibit ‘social media censorship’
- Air Force hosts virtual public meeting for Cannon Air Force Base, New Mexico