TOKYO, Japan (KAMR/KCIT) – From the Grand Prix Special to Simone Biles and Suni Lee, the 2020 Tokyo Olympics continues full-speed ahead today. Here’s what to watch:
In the top story of the morning, Simone Biles competed in Team USA’s first rotation on vault in the women’s Olympic team final, bailing out of her Amanar and scoring a 13.766 for a 1.5 twist. Shortly after, she withdrew from the team contest.
Through the Associated Press, Biles gave a press conference in the wake of her withdrawal.
- Women’s Prelim Group B: Nigeria vs USA (Basketball)
- Women’s Synchro 10m Platform – Final (Delaney Schnell & Jessica Parratto) (Diving)
- Dressage Team Grand Prix Special (Jessica Springsteen) (Equestrian)
- Women’s Group Stage – United States vs. Australia (Soccer)
- Day 4, Heats: Men’s 100m freestyle & more (Caeleb Dressel) (Swimming)
- Women’s Team Final: Main Coverage (Simone Biles and Suni Lee) (Gymnastics)
- Women’s Team Final: Team USA Tracker (Gymnastics)
- Gold Medal Game: United States vs. Japan (Softball)
- Men Prelim: USA (Gibb/Bourne) vs SUI (Heidrich/Gerson) (Beach Volleyball)
- Day 5, Finals: Women’s 200m freestyle & more (Katie Ledecky, Caeleb Dressel) (Swimming)
- Opening Round, Game 1: Dominican Republic vs. Japan (Baseball)
Meanwhile, Jessica Parratto and Delaney Schnell won the U.S.’s first medal in Diving.
The American pair executed their five-dive list with poise to earn silver in the women’s synchronized 10m platform. It was the United States’ first medal of any color in the event.
Alaska’s Lydia Jacoby won the 100 breaststroke gold, in a different water-bound victory.
Defending Olympic champ Lilly King came up shy behind teenager Jacoby in a surprise finish, although the breaststroke gold medal is remaining in American hands.
The United States Women’s National Team registered a scoreless draw against Australia in the last of three Olympic group stage games. The result was enough to advance to the knockout rounds.
Team USA’s Carissa Moore talks about why her gold medal in surfing means that much more to her after growing up in Hawaii.
- Men’s Prelim Group A: USA vs Iran (Basketball)
- Men’s Road Time Trial (Cycling)
- Women’s Prelim, Game 9: Hungary vs United States (Water Polo)
- Men’s Synchro 3m Springboard – Final (Diving)
- Day 5, Heats: Men’s 200m IM & more (Lilly King, Annie Lazor, Ryan Murphy, Michael Andrew, Chase Kalisz) (Swimming)
Here Freestyle skier Gus Kenworthy roots on Nyjah Huston and Yuto Horigome in the Olympic final for men’s street skateboarding. Skateboarding is making its Olympic debut in Tokyo.
The US Women’s Gymnastics team left nothing to chance in Tokyo, including getting used to the equipment in the arena. Tanith White has an inside look at how the equipment will play a role in the high-flying performances.
Sport Climbing makes its Olympic debut in Tokyo. Rutledge Wood finds out what it takes to climb to the top of this sport.
The new face of the Olympics is electronic! Athletes are competing with robots to win fans at these Games. Rutledge Wood meets robotic mascots and finds out what it takes to operate one.
Relive the thrilling performances of Olympic Day 4.
Volleyball player and Nebraska native was nicknamed “The Governor” by her teammates after a funny fan interaction in Thailand.
Anne Thompson experiences a moment of zen as she visits a bonsai art museum and receives a lesson in how to train a bonsai tree.