AUSTIN (KAMR/KCIT) — Governor Greg Abbott will host Florida Governor Ron DeSantis for a border security briefing with state and local officials and law enforcement on Saturday, July 17 at 2:15 p.m. in Del Rio, according to a press release from the office of Governor Abbott.
The release stated the following will also be in attendance:
- Texas Attorney General, Ken Paxton
- Texas Department of Public Safety Director, Steve McCraw
- Texas Division of Emergency Management Chief, Nim Kidd
- Adjutant General of Texas, Tracy Norris
- National Border Patrol Council (NBPC) President, Brandon Judd
- Val Verde County Sheriff, Joe Frank Martinez
The governor’s office explained that the visit comes after Gov. Abbott declared that the “State of Texas will invoke the Emergency Management Assistance Compact, which requested immediate assistance to quell the surge of illegal migrants, apprehend illegal criminal aliens, and secure the border.”
Additionally, Gov. DeSantis sent Florida law enforcement to the Texas Border to assist with border security, the release stated.