3 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 (1-pound) loaf Italian or French bread
1/4 cup olive oil
1 heaping tablespoon garlic
2 teaspoons chopped sage
1/2 stick of butter, unsalted
10 mushrooms, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced celery
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Spray with nonstick spray a glass baking dish.
3. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes.
4. Place cubes in large large skillet. Add oil, sage, and 1/2 garlic; toss to coat.
5. Spread cubes out on large rimmed baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Bake until golden (about 15 minutes).
7. Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, cook until almost done.
8. Add mushrooms, onion and celery. Sauté until juices have evaporated, about 15 minutes.
9. Add sautéed vegetables and parsley to bread cubes.
10. In a large bowl ,whisk heavy cream, eggs, salt and ground pepper.
11. Mix custard into bread and vegetables.
12. Place bread in buttered baking pan pour custard over bread saturating each piece. Let sit at least 30 minutes so bread soaks up all the custard.
13. Bake uncovered until set and top is golden, about 1 hour.
14. Let stand 15 minutes and serve with all your Thanksgiving Day favorites.
*Great for vegetarian main course during the holidays. Just add more vegetables like zucchini and bell peppers and remove the sausage.
Boot Hill Saloon & Grill
909 Vega Blvd. Vega