April Fools' Chocolate Strawberry Cream Pie
Recipe adapted from Familyfun.com
Chocolate Meat Loaf FillingIngredients:
1 1/4 pounds lean ground beef
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup barbecue sauce
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon dark, molasses
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2/3 cup bread crumbs
1 frozen pie shell
Heat the oven to 350º.
1. Sauté the onions in the tablespoon of oil until they are transparent
2. In a small saucepan, combine the barbecue sauce, milk, molasses, cocoa, and chili powder. Set the pan over medium heat and whisk the mixture until it is lukewarm and the cocoa is completely dissolved.
Set it aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl, toss together the salt, pepper, bread crumbs. Then add the beef, egg, sauce mixture, and onion. Thoroughly mix the ingredients using your hands or a wooden spoon.
4. Transfer the meat to the pie shell, spreading it evenly with a spoon. Bake it until the meat is cooked through, about 60 minutes.
Whipped Strawberry Topping
2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup canned sliced beets (not pickled)
1/4 cup (or more) warm milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1. While the pie is baking, prepare the mashed potato topping. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and add enough water to completely submerge them. Salt the water lightly, cover the pot, and bring it to a boil.
2. Reduce the heat slightly and cook the potatoes at a low boil until they are tender, about 12 minutes.
3. While the potatoes cook, puree the beets and 1/4 cup warm milk in a blender until only small bits of beet are left in the mixture. Set aside.
4. Drain the potatoes and transfer them to a large bowl.
5. Add the butter and pureed beets and, using an electric mixer, whip the mixture until its smooth and fluffy.
6. Add more milk if needed and salt to taste.
7. Spread the whipped potatoes over the top of the cooked meat pie with a spatula, as you would whipped cream, mounding it slightly in the center. Slice and serve the pie while the potatoes are still hot. or just leave on counter for unsuspecting food thief
Boot Hill Saloon & Grill
909 Vega Blvd. Vega
Find More of Rory's Tips & Recipes at:
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.