A new report on the effects of climate change in the US doesn't paint a pretty picture.
From flooding to drought, the new report lays out what we could face if things don't change.
The latest US climate report is now available and the conclusions are sobering.
"Hundreds of the best climate scientists from across the U.S., not just in the public sector, but in the private sector as well, have worked over the last four years to produce this report."
Overall the past ten years have been the warmest decade since records have been kept.
The report states:
"Long-term, independent records from weather stations, satellites, ocean buoys, tide gauges, and many other data sources all confirm that our nation, like the rest of the world, is warming."
Here is what the report lays out for our future.
The Northeast can expect:
- More heat waves,
- Increased coastal sea level surge flooding,
- And more severe inland flash flooding.
The Southeast will see:
- New fresh water issues due to drought and increased population. As well as increased ocean surge flooding from tropical systems along the coast.
- "what is certain to be a rising sea level is something that communities need to grapple with and need to grapple with it right now, in terms of their infrastructure investments, how they're thinking about the future."
- Yes,there will be a longer growing season, but more extreme heat waves, droughts and flash flooding may counteract that positive.
- The plains will experience an increased demand for water and energy due to the higher temperatures.
In the Southwest:
- Severe droughts and wildfires will increase...
- Fresh water may become more scarce than it already is.
- Earlier than normal snow melt may stress summer water supplies in the river systems there.
- Retreating glaciers, receding summer sea ice levels and thawing permafrost will cause damage to infrastructure and ecosystems.
And finally the ocean:
- It is absorbing carbon dioxide as carbonic acid and is rapidly changing the ph world wide.
- It's called ocean acidification
- Stressing marine ecosystems, coral reefs and the food chain.
Copyright 2014 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.