(KSHB) A Shawnee, Kansas mom wants other parents to be aware of a virus being investigated right now in the Kansas City area.
Fourteen infants from Missouri and Kansas have become sick from a parechovirus referred to as HPeV3.
Katie McClure's son, Sean, was just 5 days old when he suddenly stopped breathing. McClure instructed her older son to call 911. Once Sean arrived to the emergency room at Children's Mercy Hospital, doctors diagnosed Sean with HPeV3. The virus led to meningitis in her son's brain.
Days later, doctors told McClure her son wasn't going to make it. He was having seizures constantly and required a feeding tube.
"They only gave him 24 hours to live," McClure explained.
Copyright 2014 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.