For the snickerdoodle cookies:
½ cup each butter and shortening, at room temperature
1 ½ cups sugar
1 ½ teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1. Beat butter, shortening, sugar and eggs together until creamy.
2. Add cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Beat until smooth.
3. Add flour and mix well.
4. Chilling overnight is preferred; otherwise at least two hours.
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
Combine topping ingredients in small, shallow bowl. After chilling, roll out to 1/4-inch thick in between sheets of plastic wrap and cut out desired shapes. Place on ungreased baking sheets, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and refrigerate 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375F and position a rack in the middle. Bake the cookies for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely before filling them with the ice cream.
Ultimate Lemon Ice Cream:
finely grated zest of 3 lemons
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar or 2/3 cup agave nectar
4 egg yolks
pinch of salt
1 cup milk
2 cups heavy cream
1. In a non-reactive bowl, mix the lemon zest, juice and sugar (or agave nectar). Refrigerate one to two hours to blend flavors.
2. In a large bowl, slightly beat the egg yolks to break them up.
3. Heat milk to a bare boil in a large heavy saucepan. Pour the milk over the eggs and return combined mixture to the saucepan and gently heat (do not boil) until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
4. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
5. Combine milk mixture with heavy cream and lemon mixture.
6. Spin in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.
The Pan-Handlers Cafe