Robin Hawkins says, "Summer is a great time to enjoy the sweetness of fresh fruit and the Mojito Fruit Salad is a great way to serve a variety of fresh fruit. You can use whatever fruit you have on hand. We have many items in our stores that are grown in Texas. We currently have Texas Honeydew melons. Blueberries and cantaloupes will be in the stores next week."
Mojito Fruit Salad
8 cups fresh fruit, chopped (watermelon, peaches, honey dew, cantaloupe, strawberries, kiwi, grapes, plums, pluots, cherries, blueberries, etc.)
¾ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup water
½ cup lime juice
*2 teaspoons rum extract optional if you want a rum taste or substitute ¼ cup lime juice with ¼ cup rum
2 tablespoons of chopped mint plus a few extra few mint leaves for garnish
1. Combine fruit in bowl with fresh mint.
2. Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat and heat until sugar is dissolved. Let cool.
3. Stir in lime juice and rum flavoring.
4. Drizzle about half of the lime mixture over the chopped fruit and gently stir until combined.
5. Continue adding lime mixture until fruit is lightly coated. You do not want the juice to puddle at the bottom of the bowl.
6. Top with whole mint leaves for garnish.
7. Chill for at least 15 minutes before serving to let natural juices in the fruit to come out.
Get More Recipes:
Copyright 2014 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.