SANTA FE -- June 7 is free fishing day at lakes and streams across New Mexico — no license required.
“We want to encourage New Mexican’s to get out with their families and enjoy their wildlife resources, and celebrating National Free Fishing Day is a great way to do that,” Department Fisheries Chief Mike Sloane said.
June 7, 2014, is National Free Fishing Day, and to celebrate, all anglers, residents and nonresidents may fish free on public waters statewide. Bag limits and all other fishing rules apply.
As a bonus, the Department of Game and Fish and its partners will conduct free fishing clinics at waters across the state. Anglers of all ages are encouraged to participate. All you need is some basic fishing equipment. Most clinics will provide prizes for youth who register and attend educational stations.
More than 150 volunteers and more than 20 Department staff members will be at the clinics to provide fishing instruction and information about New Mexico’s fish and fish habitat. Young anglers will learn the basics: how to bait hooks, tie knots, catch fish and the correct way to release fish. They will also learn how to be responsible anglers.
The youth fishing clinics will be at waters across the state in lakes and streams of varying sizes — even in a portable swimming pool. The department will generously stock all the clinic locations with catchable-sized trout or channel catfish before the events.
Here’s where to find the clinics:
- Albuquerque: 9 a.m. to noon, Tingley Beach.
- Grants: 8 a.m. to noon, Grants Riverwalk Pond. Lunch will be provided for the youth attending the event.
- Pecos: 8 a.m. to noon, Cowles Ponds, Santa Fe National Forest
- Corona: 8 a.m. to noon, Corona Pond
- Ruidoso: 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Grindstone Reservoir. Kayak rides, prizes and snacks will be available.
- Roswell: 7 a.m. to 11 a.m., Wal-Mart Super Center, catfish portable pool.
- Las Cruces: 8 a.m. to noon, Alumni Pond, New Mexico State University.
Copyright 2014 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.