AMARILLO -- The BBB has some tips for staying safe while dating online and receiving strange calls on your phone.
- Being asked to talk or chat on an outside email or messaging service.
- Given all kinds of excuses not to meet in person.
- Being asked you for money or credit card information.
- Receiving emails with questionable links to third-party websites.
What is being called the One Ring Phone Scam is new and very effective. Heres how it works:
The call rings once on your phone and appears as a missed call.
The scammer waits for you to call back.
When you call back you are charged $19.95 PLUS $9 per minute. Close to $30 for a fake missed call.
What you can do:
- Learn about this scam. Tell others and commit to ignoring missed calls from unknown numbers.
- Take note of the number. Let your cell phone provider know right away.
- This is a type of phone cramming. Watch your statements and question any unknown charges.
- Ask your provider if they can restrict third-party billing on your account.
- Call BBB. If you are a victim, call your BBB and let us know.
Copyright 2014 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.