AMARILLO -- Amarillo is on the Texas Highways "Top 40 destinations in Texas list".
Amarillo is #34 on the list.
TX Highways readers liked Amarillo not only for its western roots and musical ties (think George Strait) but also great places like the Amarillo Museum of Art, the Globe-News Center for the Performing Arts and Historic Route 66.
The Amarillo CVC staff has compiled 34 reasons why our city is on the list.
34 Reasons To Visit Amarillo:
- Take a journey to the tropics at the Amarillo Botanical Gardens.
- Get hands-on science experiences at the Don Harrington Discovery Center.
- Stroll along Amarillo's Historic Route 66.
- Grab a burger and listen to music at the Golden Light Café & Cantina.
- Paint graffiti on the cars at Cadillac Ranch.
- Hop on the rides at Wonderland Amusement Park (in the summer).
- Shop for Western duds, such as a custom-made saddle at Olivers Saddle Shop or custom boots at Beck Boots.
- Search for over 100 American Quarter Horse statues around the city.
- See a performance of the Kwahadi Indian Dancers at the Kwahadi Museum of the American Indian.
- Retrace the Panhandles aviation history at the Texas Air & Space Museum
- Reminisce at the RV Museum with its exhibits from the 1920s to today.
- Meet the horse that won the West at the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame & Museum.
- Check out the Amarillo Zoo with over 60 animal species.
- Take a ride in a Big Texan Limo, complete with longhorns on the hood, to the Big Texan Steak Ranch & Microbrewery.
- Cool off during the summer at Splash Amarillo.
- Pretend to be a cattle baron by visiting the Amarillo Livestock Auction on Monday.
- Be a sports fan- watch a HS football game at Dick Bivins Stadium, the Amarillo Venom (arena football) or Amarillo Bulls (ice hockey) at the Amarillo Civic Center Coliseum, or the Amarillo Sox (baseball) at the Amarillo National Sox Stadium.
- Spend time with the folks at the Working Ranch Cowboys Association World Championship Rodeo (in November).
- Appreciate a performance by the symphony, ballet, opera or a concert at the Globe-News Center for the Performing Arts.
- Stroll the Galleries at Sunset Center during the First Friday Art Walk.
- Splurge on barbecue during the Amarillo Chamber of Commerce Good Times Celebration Barbecue Cook Off in September.
- Don't miss a 4th of July tradition - the Will Rogers Range Riders Rodeo.
- Get revved-up at the Route 66 Motor Speedway or Amarillo Dragway.
- Join in the Center City Block Party in August.
- Visit the Amarillo Museum of Art- admission is always free.
- Eat a Hotter Than Hell Burger at Coyote Bluff Café.
- Take a carload of friends to the Tascosa Drive Inn.
- Play golf at the award-winning Ross Rogers Golf Complex.
- Eat a chicken fried steak at the Stockyard Café - it was on the Travel Channel.
- Find a seat at the Amarillo Little Theatre - the longest continuously running community theatre in the nation.
- See how the other half lived at the Harrington House (make sure you have reservations).
- Hike, bike or jog along the Rock Island Rail Trail.
- Wander the trails at the Wildcat Bluff Nature Center.
- Visit the Amarillo Visitor Center and purchase an Amarillo Logo item.
Copyright 2014 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.