According to a recent statistic, close to 266 million Americans used spaghetti and pasta sauce in 2017. It’s expected to increase about 8 million in 2020!
Depending on your favorite type of pasta, the sauce you pair it with can really elevate your dish. As a general rule, flat pasta is best with cream sauces while tomato sauces will cling to pasta shapes. More specifically, long ribbons of pasta taste best with rich, meaty sauces. Shells taste best with heavy cream or meat sauces.Tubes pair well with hearty vegetable sauces such as our Tuscany Pumpkin sauce or baked cheese dishes. Filled pasta is traditionally served with light butter or oil sauces.
Zucchini Lasagna Spirals
- 2-3 cups Cucina Antica Tomato Basil cooking sauce
- 12 oz ricotta
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 medium zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
1. Lay the zucchini strips out across a cooling rack (cooling rack allows excess water to drain). Sprinkle salt across the tops of the zucchini and let sit for about 10-15 minutes to let the water sweat out of the zucchini. Pat the water off the zucchini and then flip them over and repeat with the next side. Wipe off excess salt with a towel.
2. Preheat your oven to 375°F
3. In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese, basil, mozzarella, and egg. Stir well.
4. Spread 1/2 cup Cucina Antica Tomato Basil on the bottom of casserole dish.
5. Lay out the sliced zucchini noodles and spread about 2 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture over each individual zucchini noodle. Add a spoonful of Cucina Antica Tomato Basil over the top of the ricotta.
6. Carefully roll up the zucchini and place in the casserole dish.
7. Spread extra Cucina Antica Tomato Basil cooking sauce over the top of the rolls. Sprinkle Parmigiano-Reggiano on top.
8. Bake for about 45 minutes or until the cheese on top is a nice golden brown.
You can learn more about The Spice Gal here.
You can find Cucina Antica products nationally at Whole Foods, locally at Target and United. · Learn more about Cucina Antica and find this recipe here.