Fried Green Tomato BLT
Ingredients For Tomatoes:
- 4 large green tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- Slice tomatoes 1/2 inch thick. Discard the ends.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a medium-size bowl. Scoop flour onto a plate. Mix cornmeal, bread crumbs and salt and pepper on another plate. Dip tomatoes into flour to coat. Then dip the tomatoes into milk and egg mixture. Dredge in breadcrumbs to completely coat.
- In a large skillet, pour vegetable oil (enough so that there is 1/2 inch of oil in the pan) and heat over a medium heat. Place tomatoes into the frying pan in batches of 4 or 5, depending on the size of your skillet. Do not crowd the tomatoes, they should not touch each other. When the tomatoes are browned, flip and fry them on the other side. Drain them on paper towels.
Ingredients For BLT:
- 8+ slices of bacon
- Fried green tomatoes
- 8 thick-cut slices of whole wheat or multigrain bread, toasted
- Chipotle mayonnaise or remoulade and baby greens, for assembling
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees; and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Arrange the bacon on the foil and bake for about 15 minutes, until crispy. Drain the bacon and cut in half.
- Lay 4 slices of toast on a work surface and lightly spread with mayonnaise. Top with the green tomatoes, bacon and greens. Close the sandwiches, cut in half and serve
The Pan-Handlers Cafe
410 S. Taylor