Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Grammy Award Winning Jazz Trumpeter, Irvin Mayfield, Talks New Orleans' Annual Satchmo Fest
In a city known for its extraordinary cuisine and unique culture, New Orleans now has something else to blow its horn about. Now known to some as the Festival Capital of the World, New Orleans kicks off the 14th Annual Satchmo Festival on the morning of August 1 as a tribute to jazz legend and native son Louis Armstrong.
From the Old U.S. Mint Grammy award winning jazz trumpeter, Irvin Mayfield, previews the Satchmo Fest in New Orleans and an upcoming schedule of festivals including the one-of-kind Voodoo and Gumbo festivals.
About Irvin Mayfield:
· Mayfield has served as the Cultural Ambassador of New Orleans and the State of Louisiana since 2003.
· Mayfield has released 10 albums, and his first was in 1998 at the age of 20.
· Mayfield was nominated by President Obama to the National Council on the Arts, the advisory board of the National Endowment for the Arts. He was confirmed by the Senate to serve a full six-year term until 2016.
· In 2002, Mayfield formed the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra, which won him a 2010 Grammy Award for Best Large Jazz Ensemble.
· In 2009, Mayfield was named as the Artistic Director of Jazz in the Minnesota Orchestra.
· Mayfield serves on several national boards, and he is a decorated musician, mentor, leader, composer, professor and band leader.