The beef industry feeds the world and has the largest economic impact here in the Panhandle.
Myth: Cut meat out of your diet.
- Nutrients: ideal protein (satiety, brain development), Zinc and Iron
- USDA says 5 to 7 ounces for the average American
Myth: Meat is expensive because of big business.
- Meat is 21% of a grocery budget now, as opposed to 31% in 1980.
- Six percent of disposable income is spent on food.
- This is the result of efficient livestock production.
Myth: Hormones in Beef Cause high estrogen levels.
Truth (see estrogen graph):
- It's very low compared to other products.
- There's no difference between implanted versus non-implanted.
- We have our safest food supply ever thanks to tireless research.
Myth: Animal production causes global warming.
Truth (see U.S. Greenhouse Gas Emissions pie chart):
- Animal production only causes 9% of greenhouse gases.
- That's only 1/3 compared to electricity and transportation.