How to Sell Food from Home

- AMARILLO -- People wanting to sell food from their homes or at farmers markets can get to work, as long as they follow a few rules.

That's why the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service is offering classes today.

The Food Handlers Cottage Foods Class is required for anyone wanting to sell foods in this way.

Laws were changed this past year to allow certain foods to be made and sold from unlicensed homes, farmers markets, farm stands, and certain fairs or festivals.

AgriLife says, "All cottage operation food labels must include the name and address of the operation, the product, possible allergens and a statement saying the food was not prepared in a kitchen inspected by the Department of State Health Services or a local health department."

There was a $20 class Wednesday morning.

There's another $20 class Wednesday 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at 200 N. Brown Road in Canyon.

Here are the products sold under this law: baked goods that do not require refrigeration such as cakes, cookies, breads and pastries, candy, coated and uncoated nuts, canned jams and jellies, fruit pies, dehydrated fruits and vegetables, popcorn and popcorn snacks, cereal, dry mixes, pickles, dried herbs, and herb mixes.

More Stories

Don't Miss

Latest News