Dozens of Seniors Evacuated from Burning Nursing Home

- HEREFORD -- Dozens of senior citizens are forced from their retirement home in Hereford.

        They were evacuted because of a fire in the kitchen of the King's Manor Retirement Facilities.

        The fire started at about 10 p.m. Monday, forcing the residents out into freezing temperatures.

        All 61 residents and staff managed to escape without injury.

        The executive director of King's Manor, Shelly Moss, says they had an emergency plan in place for situations like this and the staff carried it out perfectly.

        What surprised Moss was the huge community outreach.  "I never thought I would say thank goodness for Facebook but,  with people putting it on facebook, the community were bringing us blankets and bundling up our residents and helping us load them.  EMS helping to lift them into vehicles.  It was truly an amazing sight."  Moss said.

        The residents of King's Manor were sent to three separate facilities in the area to maintain the continuity of care.

        Moss believes they may not be able to return until Saturday.

        The official cause of the fire has yet to be determined, but Hereford Fire Marshal Dean Turney says he's almost certain it was started accidentally.

More Stories

Don't Miss

Latest News